Dr. Himmelstein is a primary care physician at New Horizon Family Health Services in Greenville SC and is involved in medical education and health services research at University of South Carolina School of Medicine. Dr. Himmelstein’s research interests include health disparities in immigrant and Latino populations, linguistic disparities in healthcare access and community based primary care research development and implementation. She is originally from Costa Rica and grew up mostly in South Carolina where she completed her bachelor’s degree at Wofford College and her MD at University of South Carolina SOM Greenville. During medical school she completed her MPH at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and recently completed her residency in internal medicine at Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center.
- Population-Level Trends in Asthma and COPD Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic in the US
- Projected Health Outcomes Associated With 3 US Supreme Court Decisions in 2022 on COVID-19 Workplace Protections, Handgun-Carry Restrictions, and Abortion Rights
- The Association of Childbirth with Medical Debt in the USA, 2019–2020
- Century-Long Trends in the Financing and Ownership of American Health Care
- COVID-19 Risk by Workers’ Occupation and Industry in the United States, 2020‒2021